Friday, November 7, 2008

Bertie the Brown Birch Bolet - Final diary entry No.9

I finally returned from my 6 day trek and have been advised that the weather conditions were excellent in Ireland while I was away. The rain and wind however followed me to Sardinia and to the Balearic islands.

There was a good growth period for the mushrooms in the forest and Corinne collected 2.5 kilos of mushrooms; some ended up in the pot and others were strung up and dried. I never expected the bolets to continue growing into November and we are now experimenting with drying them for the winter stores.


Following sensitive negotiations and after being sworn to secrecy, Corinne agreed to take a few measurements and kept a close eye on the mushrooms in the forest while I was away. It was great to get a text, while windswept at a safe anchorage at Mahon in Menorca, informing me that all was well and Bertie was still alive.


Early this morning I ventured into the forest and discovered the soft decomposing cap of Bertie lying beside his stalk and a number of villainous slugs. I was immediately drawn to the brevity of life and the thoughts of Marcus Aurelius:

"There are three things of which you are made; body, breath and mind. Of these, the first two are yours in so far as it is your duty to assume their stewardship; but the third alone is yours absolutely."

Bertie had departed this world in my absence, being swallowed up into the impenetrable darkness, however Corinne had taken the important measurements and recorded the cap on the 1st and 2nd of November as measuring 50mm. Bertie the
brown birch bolet did not grow any further as his cap measured the same diameter this morning and I paused momentarily for reflection at his side.

Not long after, I ventured over to Big Ben who was thriving. I am relieved to report that he has transformed into a giant since I had last seen him. Corinne had recorded his measurements as follows: on the 1st November his cap was 34mm in diameter and he was 60mm high, and on the 2nd November his cap measured 35mm in diameter. The weather had been good during this period with temperatures ranging between 3 and 17 degrees Celsius, and the barometer was rising steadily.

Big Ben the brown birch bolet

Today Big Ben's cap measured 90mm in diameter and he was standing 95mm tall, which has proven to be a fantastic period of growth over the last five days. The morning and afternoon were mild and the barometer has fallen over the last 36 hours to 995 millibars.

Tune in tomorrow to check up on the further developments of Big Ben the
brown birch bolet.

No comments: