Friday, November 14, 2008

Big Ben the Brown Birch Bolet - Day 19

The rain has moved on and a brisk westerly wind is doing its best to dry the countryside. The sun has even managed to break through the diminishing cloud and the air temperature is already quite comfortable. I made my way up to Big Ben's secret location thinking the worst and believing his growth had stalled and ended. To my surprise he had grown again over the past 24 hours and he now measures as follows: the cap now measures 140mm in diameter and he is 105mm tall.

Big Ben the brown birch bolet - the familiar view

Big Ben the brown birch bolet - another view clearly showing the distinctive gills of the bolet

I mentioned yesterday that I found a number of shaggy ink caps and stated that they grew quite quickly in comparison to the bolet family. Below is photograph of the same mushroom and you will note it has achieved twice its own height in 24 hours.

Shaggy ink cap or coprinus comatus

No comments: